8 Best International Banks for Digital Nomads in 2023
Looking to make your money as mobile as you are? You're in the right place. In today's post, we're breaking down the best international banks for digital nomads in 2023 that not only make global living a breeze but also offer killer perks like low fees, robust online platforms, and top-notch customer service. Get ready to discover the ultimate banking solutions for the modern digital nomad.
- Wise - Wise is a reliable international money transfer service that prioritizes transparency and speed. While it may not be the cheapest option, it offers a range of features that make it a strong contender in the market.
- Revolut - Revolut is a versatile financial app offering a wide range of services from personal banking to business management, making it a one-stop-shop for all your financial needs.
- WorldRemit - WorldRemit is a global money transfer service that offers a wide range of payment options and is trusted by millions worldwide.
- PayPal - A widely-used platform for peer-to-peer and business transactions, ideal for sending money internationally with just an email address.
- Western Union - A global leader in money transfer services, offering multiple ways to send and receive money internationally through a vast network of agents and locations.
- MoneyGram - A global money transfer service that provides fast and reliable ways to send money internationally, both online and through a network of agents and locations.
- OFX - A specialized money transfer service focused on offering competitive exchange rates and lower fees for international bank-to-bank transfers.
- XE - A comprehensive currency exchange and international money transfer service known for its real-time currency converter and competitive rates.
Wise should be your go-to if you're looking to send money internationally without getting hit by hidden fees. This London-based giant processes nearly $9.7 billion USD in transactions every month.
They stand out by not marking up exchange rates, a common trick you'll see with banks and other transfer services.
With over 13 million users, Wise offers a multi-currency account that lets you hold, send, and receive money in multiple currencies.
Their transparent fee structure means you know exactly what you're paying for.
And if you're moving large sums, you'll even enjoy lower fees.
- No exchange rate markup
- Quick transfer times
- Multi-currency account available
- Transparent fee structure
- Highly secure with two-step login
- User-friendly website and app
- Option for large transfers
- Higher fees compared to some competitors
- Limited customer support availability
Revolut is more than just a financial app; it's a comprehensive financial ecosystem.
With over 28 million customers globally, this platform offers a wide array of features from personal banking to business management.
Whether you're a globetrotter looking for low-cost currency exchange or a business owner seeking streamlined financial management, Revolut has got you covered.
The app offers a comprehensive personal account that goes beyond the basics, including budgeting tools and investment options.
For businesses, Revolut provides a robust set of features like multi-currency accounts and team expenses management.
It's a one-stop-shop for all your financial needs, making it a strong contender in the market.
- Comprehensive personal and business account features
- Low-cost currency exchange and international transfers
- Highly rated app with excellent customer reviews
- Budgeting tools available
- Multi-currency accounts for travel and business
- Team expenses management for businesses
- Some features behind a paywall
- No phone support for customer service
WorldRemit is a trusted name in the international money transfer game, boasting a customer base of over 4 million worldwide.
The platform offers a large, global network of cash pickup locations, making it convenient for both senders and receivers.
With varied options for sending and receiving money, WorldRemit caters to a diverse set of needs.
However, it's worth noting that they are not always the cheapest provider, and their fees can sometimes be hidden in the exchange rates.
Despite this, their high customer satisfaction scores and reliable customer support make them a solid choice for international money transfers.
The platform also offers a convenient mobile app, allowing for easy transactions on the go.
- Large, global network of cash pickup locations
- Varied options for sending and receiving money
- High customer satisfaction and reliable customer support
- Convenient mobile app for on-the-go transactions
- Multiple payment methods including bank transfer, card, and mobile credit
- Quick processing times for most transactions
- Not always the cheapest provider
- Fees often hidden in exchange rates
PayPal revolutionized the way we send and receive money.
Founded in 1998, it was one of the first online peer-to-peer payment platforms.
Today, PayPal is a financial juggernaut, facilitating transactions in multiple currencies across the globe.
What sets PayPal apart is its convenience and security.
You can send money internationally using just the recipient’s email address.
This eliminates the need to share sensitive bank account information.
However, the convenience comes at a cost.
PayPal charges a 5% fee for international transfers, which can add up for businesses or frequent users.
Despite this, its ease of use and robust security features make it a popular choice for both personal and business transactions.
- Instant transfers between PayPal accounts
- No need to share bank account details
- Available in over 200 countries
- Supports 25 currencies
- Free account setup
- Highly secure
- High transfer fees for international transactions
- Additional time needed to transfer funds to a bank account
- Customer service may be slow
5. Western Union
Western Union is a pioneer in the world of international money transfers.
Founded in 1851, the company has evolved from a telegraph service to a financial services giant.
Western Union offers a plethora of options for sending money, from online transfers to in-person cash deliveries.
The company’s vast network of over 500,000 branch locations makes it one of the most accessible services globally.
While it offers unparalleled reach and multiple transfer methods, Western Union’s fees can be on the higher side.
The cost of a transfer varies depending on factors like the recipient’s country, the method of transfer, and the amount being sent.
Despite the higher fees, Western Union remains a reliable and secure option for sending money internationally, especially for those who require immediate cash pickups.
- Wide availability in over 200 countries
- Multiple transfer options: online, phone, mobile app, in-person
- Same-day delivery available
- Highly secure with live customer service
- Cash pickup option for recipients without a bank account
- Higher fees compared to other options
- Exchange rate markups aren’t always clear
- Cost varies by country and method
MoneyGram is a key player in the international money transfer market.
Founded in 1940, the company has expanded its services to include fast and reliable money transfers across the globe.
With a presence in over 200 countries, MoneyGram offers a variety of payment methods, including online transfers, mobile app transactions, and in-person cash payments.
One of MoneyGram’s strengths is its speed; transfers can often be completed within minutes.
However, this speed comes at a cost, as fees can be higher for instant transfers or when using a credit or debit card.
Despite the costs, MoneyGram remains a popular choice for those who need to send money quickly and securely, especially for recipients who prefer cash pickups.
- Available in over 200 countries and territories
- Multiple payment options including cash, debit/credit card, and bank account
- Fast transfers, often within minutes
- Lower fees for bank account transfers
- Mobile app for convenient transactions
- Higher fees for credit and debit card payments
- Exchange rate markups
- Limits on transfer amounts
- May require ID verification for larger amounts
OFX , formerly known as OzForex, is a financial service provider specializing in foreign currency exchange and international money transfers.
Founded in 1998, OFX aims to offer a cost-effective alternative to traditional banks for making international transfers.
The company prides itself on providing highly competitive exchange rates and lower fees, especially for larger transfer amounts.
OFX supports 55 different currencies and has a 24/7 customer support system to assist with any issues or questions.
However, it’s worth noting that OFX is best suited for larger, bank-to-bank transfers, as it has a minimum transfer requirement and does not offer cash pickup options.
Despite these limitations, OFX remains a popular choice for individuals and businesses looking to make substantial international transfers without the high costs often associated with banks.
- Highly competitive exchange rates
- Low or no fees for higher transfer amounts
- Supports 55 currencies
- 24/7 customer support
- Online and mobile app platforms for easy transactions
- No cash pickup option
- Initial setup can be time-consuming
- Minimum transfer amount required
- Not ideal for small, quick transfers
XE is a well-known name in the currency exchange industry, initially gaining fame for its online currency converter.
Founded in 1993, the company has expanded its services to include international money transfers.
XE is unique in that it charges no fees for transfers, making its money instead through the exchange rate.
The platform supports over 60 currencies and offers fast, secure bank-to-bank transfers.
While XE is a convenient and cost-effective option for many, it does have some limitations.
The service does not offer a cash pickup option and is not ideal for smaller transfers due to exchange rate markups.
Additionally, customer support is not available 24/7, which may be a concern for some users.
Despite these drawbacks, XE remains a popular choice for those looking for a straightforward and reliable way to transfer money internationally.
- Real-time currency conversion
- No transfer fees
- Supports over 60 currencies
- Fast and secure bank-to-bank transfers
- User-friendly mobile app and website
- No cash pickup option
- Exchange rate markups
- Not ideal for small transfers
- Limited customer support hours